Recently, Sam Nguyen posted his old newsletter from when he finished up Nav EDGE corps on his blog. On it is listed all of the lessons he learned while he was serving at U of A for 2 years.
I actually got discouraged when I first read it. Some things on there, I instantly thought "I wish I had known this before, even yesterday." Some things I still don't believe or understand. Some things I understand, but don't know how to apply to my life, or if I am capable of applying them. Some things I've heard all my life, but still don't have a hold of. I was frustrated that so much of it just didn't describe me or my attitudes.
But I know that wasn't Sam's intention.
I had a recent conversation with my friend, over which the idea of being content with how wise or mature we were at the moment came up. We talked about how we should always be seeking wisdom, and be desiring to grow deeper in our knowledge and understanding of Christ, but at the same time, be able to have a peace about where God has us at the time, not being envious of wiser people, and trusting that God will grow us the way He wants to, if we are willing to learn from Him.
Of course Sam would have some smart things to say! He is older than me, has seen and experienced more, has known God longer, has prayed more, has gone through 2 years of sweet college ministry, and has learned even more since then. Other people I know would have other wise things to say that I could learn from, if they would take the time to share them, and I be willing to listen.
I have hope that God is working to make me a wise woman. What that will look like, I can't know. I know the set of lessons I will learn will look different for me than they do for Sam, or for anyone else. Because even though God is the same God for everyone, yesterday, today, and forever...His work in each person is personal and unique. And I can still learn from Samwise, and be glad I have the opportunity to do so.
As Krista's dad put it, "God loves you perfectly exactly as you are, but loves you enough to not let you stay the way you are." I can trust this is true.
On a lighter note, as I am now learning wisdom, I am also preparing for my upcoming adventure to "Celebrate the Genius of John Williams" in LA with my sister Stacy and Jedi Master Brian Goegan! Next week, I will meet John Williams at the morning rehersal! This trip is gonna be quite fun! I hope my Celebrate t-shirt ships in time! :D I am also taking a vacation to San Francisco with my whole family soon after!
Also, the Indonesia team left today. What an adventure they are going to have! You can read about it here at the Tour Guide's website. They are going to do the Ethno-Tour. It sounds so amazing! I really can't wait to hear about how God blesses their trip!
And Krista's coming back from Zambia soon! I'll still be gone when she gets here, but I am excited for when I do get to see her again.
This has been quite the summer so far.
Samwise
Sunday, July 08, 2007
Posted by Christy at 4:09 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
Hi Christy, I'm glad that someone is reading my blog! Let me tell you firsthand that writing a list of nuggets of wisdom does not put you any further along. All those things started in my head, but how long will it take for them to make it down to my heart?! To be perfectly honest, a lot of those lessons I have forgotten how to faithfully apply to my life now.
I'd say it was more of a snapshot of where I was at the time, than a "hey look, I've made it!" sort of think. There are some things on there that I don't feel strongly about anymore, and there are whole other sets of things that I am thinking about now that aren't even touched there.
I agree with what you and your friend talked about...it's more about the direction your moving than the place you are in. May God be our ultimate goal!
Anyway, sorry for the long response. Love your writing, keep it up.
Post a Comment